- Experience warriors (1 Chron. 12:2)
- Practical insight and exposure to warfare
- Expert with shields & spears (12:8)
- Expert with the shield of Faith & the spear of Prayer
- Fierce as lions (12:8)
- powerful, aggressive, violent, forceful, and not wimpy
- Swift as deer on the mountains (12:8)
- quick to listen, instantaneous in action, rapid response
- The weakest could take on 100 regular troops (12:14)
- leader perhaps a captain
- The strongest could take on 1000 regular troops (12:14)
- leader perhaps a general
- Others were fully armed and prepared for battle and completely loyal to David (12:33)
- state of readiness, faithful, true, and devoted
- The spirit came upon the leader of the 30 (12:18)
- filled with the Holy Spirit
- They were all brave and able warriors who became commanders in his army (12:21)
- lionhearted, courageous, and valiant
- They were all eager to see David become king (12:30)
- Came with a single purpose of making David the king over all Israel
- All prepared for battle armed with shields and spears (12:35, 37)
- in a state of readiness with faith and prayer
- Each was highly respected in his one clan
- admired and honored
- Some understood the signs of the times and knew the best course for Israel to take (12:32)
- wisdom and discernment
Hi everyone, blessing on you and yours. I trust that all is well with you, and that you are continuing the study of Proverbs.
Since this is the 16th day of the month, which means that we should find ourselves in Chapter 16 of Proverbs.
Theme: “We can make our own plans, but the LORD gives the right answer.” Proverbs 16:1 (NLT)
However, you should consider these verses as well: 3, 9, 17, 25, and 33.
Check these verses out before you make any plans:
verse 3. Commit your actions to the LORD, and your plans will succeed
verse 9. We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps
verse 17. The path of the virtuous leads away from evil; whoever follows that path is safe
verse 25. There is a path before each person that seems right, but it ends in death
verse 33. We may throw the dice, but the LORD determines how they fall
Key Learning: Plans, Motives and His perspective
I found that the Right Answer had questions that had to be answered first before one could succeed.
In other words The LORD examines your motives first then He gives you the correct answer according to His perspective.
- But are you looking to the LORD for the right answer?
- Have you committed your actions to the LORD for His considerations?
- Do you really hope that your plans succeed or is this just lip service?
- Do you trust the LORD with determining your steps?
- Are you willing to give up the path that you think is the right way, so that you can avoid death?
- Are you trusting the LORD when he determines how the dice fall in your plans?
- Do you see yourself as pure in your own eyes?
- What do your motives really say, the LORD is examining your motives right now!
- What do your motives show when it comes to unfailing love and faithfulness
- Does your life really please the LORD, are your enemies at peace with you?
- Do your motives betray you when it comes to having little with godliness?
- What about if you are rich and dishonest, what does the LORD see when he is examining your motives?
- When the LORD examines your motives what does he see when you open your mouth to speak, is he pleased? Are you speaking honestly?
- If you want your plans to succeed then you must commit your actions to the LORD?
- Have you asked the LORD what purposes does he have in mind for you?
- If you don’t want to be punished then get rid of this, realize that the LORD detest this in people?
- Unfailing Love
- Does yours include faithfulness and is it able to atone for sin?
- Pleasing lives
- Does your life really please the LORD? Are your enemies at peace with you?
- Do you realize that this is better than being dishonest and rich?
- Are you aware that the LORD determines our steps?
- Scales and Balances
- Did you know that the LORD demands accurate scales, balances, and sets the standards for fairness?
- Wrong doing
- Did you know that the king detests this?
- Righteous lips
- Did you know that the king is pleased with words from righteous lips?
- Are you aware that the king loves those who speak honestly?
- Are you wise enough to deal with the kings anger?
- Did you know that this is better to obtain, rather than gold?
- Good judgment
- Did you know that this is better than getting silver?
- Do you understand that their paths are directed away from evil and they are safe?
- Did you know that this leads to destruction?
- Do you understand that this leads to a fall?
- Did you know that it is better to live this way than sharing in the plunder of the proud?
- Listens intently
- Do you really want to prosper? Then do this!
- Did you know that trusting the LORD leads to great joy?
- Are you aware that you will be known by this if you are wise, and that your pleasant words will be very persuasive?
- Did you know that this is a life-giving fountain to those who possesses it?
- Do you know that this is wasted on fools?
- Did you know that wise speech comes from a mind that is wise, and their words are persuasive?
- Kind words
- Are you aware that they are like honey, sweet to the soul and healthy for the body?
- Did you know that is good for workers to have this?
- Are you aware that they create trouble and their words are a destructive blaze?
- Did you know that they plant seeds of strife?
- Are you aware that this type of person separates the best of friends?
- Violent people
- Did you know that they mislead their companions, and are leading them down a harmful path?
- Narrowed eyes
- Are you aware that these people plot evil and with a smirk they plan their mischief?
- Gray hair
- Did you know that this is a crown of glory, that it is gained by living a godly life?
- Are you aware that it is better to be this than powerful?
- Do you understand that it is better to have this, than it is to conquer a city?
These are things that the LORD reviews then answers after checking our lives (MOTIVES) to see if we meet with His approval.
For example, He checks our lives for the trait of a gossip, the answer is a harmful path or repent and stop doing it.
Or there is the listening to instructions and putting them into action, the answer is you will prosper.
Try it yourself, look at the list of words that I extracted from Chapter 16 and see if they are part of your character and see the required answer.. Repent or Praise! Crying or Shouting for Joy!
Memory Verse: Proverbs 16:3 “Commit your actions to the LORD, and your plans will succeed.”