- Experience warriors (1 Chron. 12:2)
- Practical insight and exposure to warfare
- Expert with shields & spears (12:8)
- Expert with the shield of Faith & the spear of Prayer
- Fierce as lions (12:8)
- Powerful, aggressive, violent, forceful, and not wimpy
- Swift as deer on the mountains (12:8)
- Quick to listen, instantaneous in action, rapid response
- The weakest could lead 100 regular troops (12:14)
- Superb leader perhaps a captain
- The strongest could lead 1000 regular troops (12:14)
- Great leader perhaps a general
- Others were fully armed and prepared for battle and completely loyal to David (12:33)
- State of readiness, faithful, true, and devoted
- The spirit came upon the leader of the 30 (12:18)
- Filled with the Holy Spirit
- They were all brave and able warriors who became commanders in his army (12:21)
- Lionhearted, courageous, and valiant
- They were all eager to see David become king (12:30)
- Came with a single purpose of making David the king over all Israel
- All prepared for battle armed with shields and spears (12:35, 37)
- In a state of readiness with faith and prayer
- Each was highly respected in his one clan
- Admired and honored
- Some understood the signs of the times and knew the best course for Israel to take (12:32)
- Wisdom and discernment
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood (Eph 6:11 – 12)
We are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against:
- The devil’s schemes
- Evil Rulers
- Evil Authorities of the unseen world
- Mighty powers in this dark world
- Evil spirits in the heavenly realms
- We even wrestle with our inner being, “Another power within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to sin that is still within me.” (Rom. 7:23)
Wrestling – (Greek word pale, pronounced pal’-ay a contest between two in which each endeavors to throw the other, and which is decided when the victor is able to hold his opponent down with his hand upon his neck
- Do you really believe that you can stand against the schemes of the devil by yourself?
- Do you think that you can you stand against evil rulers?
- Do you really think that you can have a wrestle off with the evil authorities of the unseen world?
- Do you think that you can stand up to the Mighty powers in this dark world?
- Can you stand against the powers of the dark world?
- Can you stand against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms?
- Do you think that you deal with the Evil spirits in the heavenly realms?
- What success have you had with the power within that is at war with your mind?
An example of wrestling is found in the book of Job in our Bible. This wrestling match seem to be all one sided until the Great I Am enters the ring and tags in. The match was all but over after God tagged the worn out man named Job. Before God tagged in, Job was down to nothing but misery and suffering because his opponent was a wild man and he hit him with everything, things like robbery, the drop kick of death, sickness hold, depression lock, pinned with hopelessness, kicked with discouragement, knock down with desertion, slapped with disloyalty, and even the kitchen sink was thrown at him. In Job’s corner was a core group of so called friends and a wife who suggested that Job just give up and curse God. Job friends accused him of some apparent fault because his type of trouble just didn’t happen to good people for no reason. His friends kept trying to get Job to repent of what ever it was that was causing this terrible wrestling match that just seem to keep going. All his friends wanted him to tap out so that this match might come to an end.
Job had nothing left but his integrity in this awful wrestling match. Job was about to be counted out while his opponent held him down in submission, when all of a sudden his tag team mate decided that enough was enough. The referee had counted to 2 and ready to count 3 and pronounce you’re out! It was then that the presence of the great Wrestler known as I AM interrupted the match and tagged his team mate in a glorious way. There was no hope for the opponent when he enter the ring and began throwing this vile and disrespectful creature around with the greatest ease, there was no matching the might of I am, The match was over and Job’s corner was made to repent for their lack of support and their assumptions of guilt. The championship belt was given back to Job and the prizes that he received for his steadfastness was so overwhelming that Job could be seen praising the Great I Am with all of his renewed might. He won twice more of what he had before the match of the century.
Now that is a great example of how to wrestle and not give in to tapping out just because the match looks like it all but over. I Am is waiting to tagged in for those matches that you are been told that you can’t win, don’t believe those well meaning friends, even your love ones who suggest that you curse God and quit! Once again adorn yourself with the Champion ship belt that says Child of God, World Champion Overcomer!
Choose a good reputation over great riches; being held in high esteem is better than silver or gold
- the beliefs or opinions that are generally held about someone or something.
“his reputation was tarnished by allegations that he had taken bribes”
- a widespread belief that someone or something has a particular habit or characteristic.
“his knowledge of his subject earned him a reputation as an expert”
So the Lord was with Joshua, and his reputation spread throughout the land Joshua 6:27
They rejoice all day long in your wonderful reputation. They exult in your righteousness Ps. 89:16
A person who plans evil will get a reputation as a troublemaker Pr. 24:8
Others may accuse you or gossip, and you will never regain your good reputation Pr. 25:10
Through their faith, the people in days of old earned a good reputation Heb. 11:2
Then you will find favor with both God and people, and you will earn a good reputation Pr. 3:4
A good reputation is more valuable than costly perfume. And the day you die is better than the day you are born Eccl. 7:1
Ten Avoidable Ways To Ruin Your Reputation
by Liz Ryan , CONTRIBUTOR
I write about bringing life to work and bringing work to life.
Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.
- People don’t realize that reputations stick around for a long time. I didn’t realize it, either. I’m amazed now when someone says “Hi Liz! We met at such-and-such a conference in Chicago in 1989.”
- People will remember you, especially people you work with directly.
- They’ll remember you by the things you said and did and the things you didn’t say and didn’t do.
- Nobody sets out to build a reputation as a con artist, a lightweight, a false friend or a person you can’t rely on — yet people get these reputations every day.
- Once you have an unfortunate reputation, it can be hard to shake it.
- I’ve heard that you have to repeat an altered or new behavior — let’s say, calling your friend back when you promise to rather than not calling him back the way you always used to do — at least ten times before your friends will believe the New You is real.
- If you’ve established a name for yourself that is not the name you’d like plastered on your forehead, getting back to neutral requires lots of breathing, careful repetition of the New You behaviors you want to showcase, and above all patience with yourself and others.
Here are ten regrettable and avoidable ways to ruin your reputation by accident:
1. Burn a bridge and then ignore it or pretend it didn’t happen.
2. Ease your own anxiety by talking about other people all the time.
3. Mixing business and social relationships to an excessive degree and losing your perspective about it.
4. Using poor judgment at work or in social settings with your workmates, or taking advantage of every professional event to get drunk.
5. Being two-faced: saying one thing to one person and the complete opposite to someone else.
6. Blaming other people for your mistakes or being out of the room whenever problems are being discussed.
7. Taking credit for other people’s work.
8. Ratting out your fellow employees to your manager. Promising to keep confidences and then doing just the opposite.
9. Pretending to be the supervisor when you’re not a supervisor, and bossing people around.
10. Generally treating people badly at work when you are cross, or all the time.
The godly walk with integrity; blessed are their children who follow them Proverbs 20:7
People with integrity walk safely, but those who follow crooked paths will be exposed Pr. 10:9
The Lord detests people with crooked hearts, but he delights in those with integrity Pr. 11:20
The godly walk with integrity; blessed are their children who follow them Pr. 20:7
He grants a treasure of common sense to the honest. He is a shield to those who walk with integrity
For only the godly will live in the land, and those with integrity will remain in it Pr. 2:21
The way of the Lord is a stronghold to those with integrity, but it destroys the wicked Pr. 10:29
Today we will examine the 24th chapter of Proverbs.
Theme: More Wise Sayings
So let’s get started with verse 23 which states, “Here are some further sayings of the wise: It is wrong to show favoritism when passing judgment.”
- Don’t envy evil people or desire their company. (v.1)
- A house is built by wisdom and becomes strong through good sense. Through knowledge its rooms are filled with all sorts of precious riches and valuables. (v.3, 4)
- The wise are mightier than the strong, and those with knowledge grow stronger and stronger. So don’t go to war without wise guidance; victory depends on having many advisers. (v.5, 6)
- Wisdom is too lofty for fools. Among leaders at the city gate, they have nothing to say. (v.7)
- A person who plans evil will get a reputation as a troublemaker. (v.8)
- The schemes of a fool are sinful; everyone detests a mocker. (v.9)
- If you fail under pressure, your strength is too small. (v.10)
- Rescue those who are unjustly sentenced to die; save them as they stagger to their death. Don’t excuse yourself by saying, “Look, we didn’t know.” For God understands all hearts, and he sees you (v.11, 12)
- My child, eat honey, for it is good, and the honeycomb is sweet to the taste. In the same way, wisdom is sweet to your soul. If you find it, you will have a bright future, and your hopes will not be cut short. (v.13, 14)
- Don’t wait in ambush at the home of the godly, and don’t raid the house where the godly live. (v.15)
- The godly may trip seven times, but they will get up again. But one disaster is enough to overthrow the wicked (v.16)
- Don’t rejoice when your enemies fall; don’t be happy when they stumble. For the LORD will be displeased with you and will turn his anger away from them (v.17, 18)
- Don’t fret because of evildoers; don’t envy the wicked. For evil people have no future; the light of the wicked will be snuffed out (v.19, 20)
- My child, fear the Lord and the king. Don’t associate with rebels, for disaster will hit them suddenly. Who knows what punishment will come from the LORD and the king? (v.21, 22)
- A judge who says to the wicked, “You are innocent,” will be cursed by many people and denounced by the nations. But it will go well for those who convict the guilty; rich blessings will be showered on them. (v.24, 25)
- An honest answer is like a kiss of friendship. (v.26)
- Do your planning and prepare your fields before building your house. (v.27)
- Don’t testify against your neighbors without cause; don’t lie about them. And don’t say, “Now I can pay them back for what they’ve done to me! I’ll get even with them!” (v.28, 29)
- I walked by the field of a lazy person, the vineyard of one with no common sense. (v.30-34)
- It was overgrown with nettles
- It was covered with weeds
- Its walls were broken down
- Then, as I looked and thought about it, I learned this lesson
- A little extra sleep, a little more slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest–
- Then poverty will pounce on you like a bandit;
- Scarcity will attack you like an armed robber
Wisdom is the principal thing and real wisdom understands the list above and how important it is to your very life on a daily basis.
Memory Verse: Proverbs 24:10 “If you fail under pressure, your strength is too small”