31st day of the month. I pray that all is well with you and yours. I trust that you are still working on Proverbs. Today we are presented with the 31st chapter of Proverbs and this is a very heavy chapter, of course all of them are weighty.
The foundation verse today is verse 1 which states, “The sayings of King Lemuel contain this message, which his mother taught him.”
7 Wise sayings taught by the King’s mother:
- Do not waste your strength on women, on those who ruin kings
- It is not for kings, O Lemuel, to guzzle wine
- Rulers should not crave alcohol. For if they drink, they may forget the law and not give justice to the oppressed
- Alcohol is for the dying, and wine for those in bitter distress
- Let them drink to forget their poverty and remember their troubles no more
- Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves; ensure justice for those being crushed
- Yes, speak up for the poor and helpless, and see that they get justice
23 Characteristic of A Wife of Noble Character:
- Who can find a virtuous and capable wife?
- She is more precious than rubies
- Her husband can trust her, and she will greatly enrich his life
- She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life
- She finds wool and flax and busily spins it
- She is like a merchant’s ship, bringing her food from afar
- She gets up before dawn to prepare breakfast for her household and plan the day’s work for her servant girls
- She goes to inspect a field and buys it; with her earnings she plants a vineyard
- She is energetic and strong, a hard worker
- She makes sure her dealings are profitable; her lamp burns late into the night
- Her hands are busy spinning thread, her fingers twisting fiber
- She extends a helping hand to the poor and opens her arms to the needy
- She has no fear of winter for her household, for everyone has warm clothes
- She makes her own bedspreads
- She dresses in fine lined and purple gowns
- Her husband is well known at the city gates, where he sits with the other civic leaders
- She makes belted linen garments and sashes to sell to the merchants
- She is clothed with strength and dignity and she laughs without fear of the future
- When she speaks, her words are wise, and she gives instructions with kindness
- She carefully watches everything in her household and suffers nothing from laziness
- Her children stand and bless her
- Her husband praises her: “There are many virtuous and capable women in the world, but you surpass them all!”
- She is a woman who fears the LORD and she will be greatly praised
As you can see above we have the wise sayings taught to King Lemuel by his mother. Is it possible that she is the woman of Noble character?
Either way we are presented with the characteristics of a noble wife. I must admit that if I had to stand up to this measurement I would be asking for mercy because I don’t even come close.
My wife is a woman of noble character, and I am blessed to have her in my life. She may not do all the things that this lady does, but she does so much and then some. My wife is virtuous and capable, more precious than rubies, I can and do trust her, she has enrich my life, she continues to bring me good, she is energetic and strong, a very hard worker. There are many more things that I can say about my wife but the most important characteristic she has is that she is a woman who fears the LORD. I do pray that God will reward her for all she has done and that her deeds publicly declare her praise.
My mother taught me as well and I am much better for having been born to her. She too is a woman of noble character. I praise God for these two women in my life who have taught me and greatly enrich my life. I am able to sit with other civic leaders and share these wise sayings of my mother and my wife with godly pride, because both are women of Noble Character.
As you read or scan this list and if you find yourself lacking real character, be you male or female, I challenge you to make 2017 the year that you turn your life around first by committing your life completely to the LORD then take the first step to a better life by studying, praying and doing the Word of God. Stop just talking, time is running out, give your best and watch what God can do with that.
Thank you for following my humble thoughts this month. May God richly bless and keep you until the return of his son, Jesus Christ.