- Experience warriors (1 Chron. 12:2)
- Practical insight and exposure to warfare
- Expert with shields & spears (12:8)
- Expert with the shield of Faith & the spear of Prayer
- Fierce as lions (12:8)
- Powerful, aggressive, violent, forceful, and not wimpy
- Swift as deer on the mountains (12:8)
- Quick to listen, instantaneous in action, rapid response
- The weakest could lead 100 regular troops (12:14)
- Superb leader perhaps a captain
- The strongest could lead 1000 regular troops (12:14)
- Great leader perhaps a general
- Others were fully armed and prepared for battle and completely loyal to David (12:33)
- State of readiness, faithful, true, and devoted
- The spirit came upon the leader of the 30 (12:18)
- Filled with the Holy Spirit
- They were all brave and able warriors who became commanders in his army (12:21)
- Lionhearted, courageous, and valiant
- They were all eager to see David become king (12:30)
- Came with a single purpose of making David the king over all Israel
- All prepared for battle armed with shields and spears (12:35, 37)
- In a state of readiness with faith and prayer
- Each was highly respected in his one clan
- Admired and honored
- Some understood the signs of the times and knew the best course for Israel to take (12:32)
- Wisdom and discernment
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood (Eph 6:11 – 12)
We are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against:
- The devil’s schemes
- Evil Rulers
- Evil Authorities of the unseen world
- Mighty powers in this dark world
- Evil spirits in the heavenly realms
- We even wrestle with our inner being, “Another power within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to sin that is still within me.” (Rom. 7:23)
Wrestling – (Greek word pale, pronounced pal’-ay a contest between two in which each endeavors to throw the other, and which is decided when the victor is able to hold his opponent down with his hand upon his neck
- Do you really believe that you can stand against the schemes of the devil by yourself?
- Do you think that you can you stand against evil rulers?
- Do you really think that you can have a wrestle off with the evil authorities of the unseen world?
- Do you think that you can stand up to the Mighty powers in this dark world?
- Can you stand against the powers of the dark world?
- Can you stand against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms?
- Do you think that you deal with the Evil spirits in the heavenly realms?
- What success have you had with the power within that is at war with your mind?
An example of wrestling is found in the book of Job in our Bible. This wrestling match seem to be all one sided until the Great I Am enters the ring and tags in. The match was all but over after God tagged the worn out man named Job. Before God tagged in, Job was down to nothing but misery and suffering because his opponent was a wild man and he hit him with everything, things like robbery, the drop kick of death, sickness hold, depression lock, pinned with hopelessness, kicked with discouragement, knock down with desertion, slapped with disloyalty, and even the kitchen sink was thrown at him. In Job’s corner was a core group of so called friends and a wife who suggested that Job just give up and curse God. Job friends accused him of some apparent fault because his type of trouble just didn’t happen to good people for no reason. His friends kept trying to get Job to repent of what ever it was that was causing this terrible wrestling match that just seem to keep going. All his friends wanted him to tap out so that this match might come to an end.
Job had nothing left but his integrity in this awful wrestling match. Job was about to be counted out while his opponent held him down in submission, when all of a sudden his tag team mate decided that enough was enough. The referee had counted to 2 and ready to count 3 and pronounce you’re out! It was then that the presence of the great Wrestler known as I AM interrupted the match and tagged his team mate in a glorious way. There was no hope for the opponent when he enter the ring and began throwing this vile and disrespectful creature around with the greatest ease, there was no matching the might of I am, The match was over and Job’s corner was made to repent for their lack of support and their assumptions of guilt. The championship belt was given back to Job and the prizes that he received for his steadfastness was so overwhelming that Job could be seen praising the Great I Am with all of his renewed might. He won twice more of what he had before the match of the century.
Now that is a great example of how to wrestle and not give in to tapping out just because the match looks like it all but over. I Am is waiting to tagged in for those matches that you are been told that you can’t win, don’t believe those well meaning friends, even your love ones who suggest that you curse God and quit! Once again adorn yourself with the Champion ship belt that says Child of God, World Champion Overcomer!
What can the military do with Ordinary Young men?
How many of you knew everything you needed to know about the military before you enlisted?
What did you learn about the military?
What were some of the things that you had to do before you could graduate and become a warrior?
After you became a warrior were you ready for service?
What else did you have to do before you were able to be a bonafid true warrior?
Think of what the military was able to do with you in a short amount of time, and then for those who made a career out of it the true warriors understand that it is the process of becoming.
So what can God do with an ordinary man?
A child born of slaves, murderer and given to fits of rage (Moses)
A person who lacked confidence in his ability to rule (King Saul)
A runt (David)
A dreamer (Joseph)
The servant and follower of Moses (Joshua)
The impulsive one (Peter)
The mean and overzealous one (Paul)
So what can God do with you?
What gifts has He given you?
What is your purpose?
What training has He put you through?
Did you graduate?
Are you really ready for the role of warrior?
What have you learned about your role as warrior?
How’s your weapons?
Do you have a full complement of arms to deal with your adversary?
Are you skill in using the provided weapons that you have?
How are you at close order combat?
Do you really know how to use your shield
Are you skilled at using your sword
How well verse are you in using the spear
Those shoes of the gospel, have you led someone to Christ, or told someone about the good news of Jesus?
The Breastplate is it intact and ready for an attack of the enemy
How’s your belt, is it too tight or just right?
Wait, are you saved and know what that means? Do you even have the helmet on?
Are you anointed and fill with the gift of the Holy Spirit?
Do you see the evidence of His work in your life? Ordinary to extraordinary! In other words able to accomplish God’s tasks with Gods help.
http://bible.com/116/luk.11.3.nlt Give us each day the food we need,
God’s provision is daily, not all at once.
We cannot store it up and then cut off communication with God.
And we dare not be self-satisfied.
If you are running low on strength, ask yourself, “How long have I been away from the Source?”
*** Thoughts from Life Application Study Bible Devotions, 23 July 2015 ***
When my car needs gas I don’t just take it to any old gas station, I take it somewhere I know that I can depend on good quality gas, because I don’t want water in my tank.
When I need strength to climb over those obstacles that block my way, I go to the great source of fuel that will propel me over, under, around, and even through mere issues. To the manufacturer of the good stuff issues are what He loves to dissolve. The good stuff is tested and approved for these human vehicles. There is no knocking or pinging with this fuel. Jesus ran on this fuel for 3 years and he was able to perform like no other. Peter being full of this formula was able to motivate over 3000 people to change their brand and try his brand. Paul and Silas thrown in prison fill their tanks up with this formula and they rock the jail house to the point that the jailer said, “What can I do to be saved?” Fill me up Please!
How about you are you ready to change your brand, are you tired of your sluggish performance?
Do you find that your formula pings and knocks when you try to accelerate up those scary mountains.
What are you running on in your time of need, low tense or high tense the good stuff, you know God’s mercy, goodness, love, long suffering, and justice.
Have you been to God’s filling station to fill up on the strength that you need for today’s battles?