Day Five of the month and that means that we should be studying Chapter 5 of Proverbs.
Today’s foundation verse is verse 3 which states, “For the lips of an immoral woman are as sweet as honey, and her mouth is smoother than oil.”
Theme: Avoid Immoral Women
Define Immoral: not conforming to accepted standards of morality.
Synonyms for immoral:
unethical, bad, morally wrong, wrongful, wicked, evil, foul, unprincipled, unscrupulous, dishonorable, dishonest, unconscionable, iniquitous, disreputable, corrupt, depraved, vile, villainous, nefarious, base, miscreant; sinful, godless, impure, unchaste, unvirtuous, shameless, degenerate, debased, debauched, dissolute, reprobate, lewd, obscene, perverse, perverted; licentious, wanton, promiscuous, loose;
Informal: shady, lowdown, crooked, sleazy
Antonyms for immoral
Clean, decent, ethical, good, honest, honorable, moral, noble, principled, pure, right, scrupulous, trustworthy, truthful, uncorrupt, upright, virtuous, chaste
- Pay attention to my wisdom
- Listen carefully to my wise counsel
- Listen to me, never stray from what I am about to say
- Stay away from her(the immoral woman)
- Don’t go near the door of her house!
- Drink water from your own well
- Share your love only with your wife
- You should reserve it(sex) for yourselves
- Never share it(sex) with strangers
- Let your wife be a fountain of blessing for you
- Rejoice in the wife of your youth
- Why be captivated, my son by an immoral woman
- Then you will show discernment, and your lips will express what you’ve learned
- She(the wife of your youth) is a loving deer, a graceful doe
- Let her breasts satisfy you always
- May you always be captivated by her(the wife of your youth) love
- But in the end she(the immoral woman) is as bitter as poison, as dangerous as a double-edged sword
- Her feet go down to death; her steps lead straight to the grave
- For she cares nothing about the path to life
- She staggers down a crooked trail and doesn’t realize it
- If you do go near the door of her house, you will lose your honor and will lose to merciless people all you have achieved
- Strangers will consume your wealth and someone else will enjoy the fruit of your labor
- In the end you will groan in anguish when disease consumes your body
- You will say, “How I hated discipline! If only I had not ignored all the warnings! Oh, why didn’t I listen to my teachers? Why didn’t I pay attention to my instructors? I have come to the brink of utter ruin, and now I must face public disgrace
- An evil man is held captive by his own sins; they are ropes that catch and hold him
- He will die for lack of self-control; he will be lost because of his great foolishness
Verse 21 really brings the point home, “For the LORD sees clearly what a man does, examining every path he takes.”
If you don’t show discernment in these things then you may be overheard making this statement, “How I hated discipline! If only I had not ignored all the warnings! Oh, why didn’t listen to my teachers? Why didn’t I pay attention to my instructors? I have come to the brink of utter ruin, and now I must face public disgrace.”
Verses 22 and 23 sums up the results of not listening to the wisdom of the Father, “An evil man is held captive by his own sins; they are ropes that catch and hold him. He will die for lack of self-control; he will be lost because of his great foolishness.”
If you understand this chapter then perhaps you see the need for prayer in the areas of discernment, listening to wisdom, discipline, being captivated by temptation, self-control, and great foolishness.
Memory Verse: Proverbs 5:21 “For the LORD sees clearly what a man does, examining every path he takes.”
It is Prayer Time!