Good Morning love ones it is the 14th day of the month and that should mean that we all find ourselves reading and praying about Chapter 14 of Proverbs.
Before we get started let me briefly share God’s idea of what real Love is, as found in 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, 13
- Patient and kind
- Not jealous or boastful or proud
- Not rude
- It does not demand its own way
- Not irritable
- Does not keep record of being wronged
- Does not rejoice about injustice
- It rejoices whenever the truth wins out
- Never gives up
- Never loses faith
- Always hopeful
- Endures through every circumstance
Three things will last forever–faith, hope, and love— and the greatest of these is love
Theme: “Those who follow the right path fear the LORD; those who take the wrong path despise him.”
Verse 2 is the verse of choice this morning that I will use to share my thoughts with you. Hopefully I can paint the picture of this chapter as it floods my mind and heart, if not just look at the picture that accompanies this text. Hopefully you will understand what this chapter says about the right and wrong path.
Key Learning: follow the right path, or take the wrong path
One definitions of Path is: “the course or direction in which a person or thing is moving”
The Right Path people fear the LORD and follow by:
- Being wise and building their home
- Showing respect for the LORD
- Being wise and using words that keep them safe
- Being a honest witness that does not lie
- Being a person of understanding whom easily obtains knowledge
- Staying away from fools
- Being prudent and understanding where they are going
- Acknowledging guilt and seeking reconciliation
- Flourishing because of their godliness
- Being good people who receive their reward
- Being prudent and carefully considering their steps
- Being wise, cautious, and avoiding danger
- Being prudent who are crowned with knowledge
- Being wise, which allows them to wear wealth as a crown
- Being a truthful witness that saves lives
- Having understanding which allows them to control their anger
- Having a peaceful heart which leads to a healthy body
- Helping the poor which honors their Maker
- Being godly, which allows them to have a refuge when they die
- Having an understanding heart, therein is wisdom enshrined
- Being wise servants, the king rejoices in them
The Wrong path people despise the LORD and take the wrong path by:
- Being foolish and tearing down their home with their own hands
- Despising the LORD
- Their foolish proud talk
- Being a false witness that breathes lies
- Being a mocker who seeks wisdom but never finds it
- Running with fools
- Being a fool who deceives themselves
- Being a fool who makes fun of guilt
- Being wicked
- Being backsliders who get what they deserve
- Being a fool who plunges ahead with reckless confidence
- Being a short-tempered person who does foolish things, and a schemers who is hated
- Being a simpleton who is clothed with foolishness
- Being evil and wicked
- Belittling their neighbor
- Planning to do evil
- Being a fool who’s effort only yields foolishness
- Being a false witness who is a traitor
- Having a hot temper which show great foolishness
- Allowing jealousy to rein in their lives which is like cancer in the bones
- Oppressing the poor which insult their Maker
- Being wicked which leads to them being crushed by disaster
- Being a fool, wisdom is not found in them
Nuggets of gold:
- Without oxen a stable stays clean, but you need a strong ox for a large harvest
- Each heart knows its own bitterness, and no one else can fully share its joy
- There is a path before each person that seems right, but it ends in death
- Laughter can conceal a heavy heart, but when the laughter ends, the grief remains
- The poor are despised even by their neighbors, while the rich have many “friends”
- It is a sin to belittle one’s neighbor; blessed are those who help the poor
- If you plan to do evil, you will be lost; if you plan to do good, you will receive unfailing love and faithfulness
- Work brings profit, but mere talk leads to poverty!
- Wealth is a crown for the wise; the effort of fools yields only foolishness
- Those who fear the LORD are secure; he will be a refuge for their children
- Fear of the LORD is a life-giving fountain; it offers escape from the snares of death
- Godliness makes a nation great, but sin is a disgrace to any people
- A king rejoices in wise servants but is angry with those who disgrace him
- Which path are you on today, the right or wrong path?
- Do your words keep you safe or do they become a rod that is used to beat you?
- Are you a honest or false witness?
- Are you looking for knowledge among known fools?
- Do you know where you are going, or do you practice the fools way, who deceive themselves?
- Wicked or godly, house or tent, which have you chosen?
- Are you on the path that seems right to you, does it lead anywhere?
- Which are you, backslider or good person?
- Are you a wise servant or one who disgraces the king
- Do you have a an understanding heart or is wisdom lacking with you?
Memory Verse: Proverbs 14:22 “If you plan to do evil, you will be lost; if you plan to do good, you will receive unfailing love and faithfulness.”
How about you how’s your path looking?
From the Nuggets of Gold, “Fear of the LORD is a life-giving fountain; it offers escape from the snares of death.”
The choice is yours, Right Path, or Wrong Path, you can have the fruit of the one that your choose. Not sure which path to choose, then just look at the two list above and decide which path is right for you.
I pray that you choose correctly!
It is Prayer time folks!