Hello everyone, it is the 21st day of the month and today we will be looking at chapter 21 of Proverbs.
After praying and reading this chapter I found myself focusing on verses 2 and 3. It states, “People may be right in their own eyes, but the LORD examines their heart. The LORD is more pleased when we do what is right and just than when we offer him sacrifices.”
Theme: Holy Heart Examination
Right in their own eyes people:
- haughty eyes, a proud heart, and evil actions
- hasty shortcuts
- wealth created by a lying tongue
- violence of the wicked
- those who refuse to do what is just
- the guilty who walk crooked paths
- a quarrelsome complaining wife
- evil people who desire evil
- those who shut their ears to the cries of the poor
- evildoers who are terrified by justice
- those who stray from common sense
- those who love pleasure
- those who love wine and luxury
- fools who spend whatever they get
- the strong whose trust is in their fortress
- those who do not watch their tongue
- mockers who are proud haughty, and act with boundless arrogance
- the lazy who refuse to work
- those who are greedy for more
- the evil person who offers a sacrifice with wrong motives
- a false witness
- the wicked who bluff their way through
- those who think that human wisdom or understanding can stand against the LORD
Doing what is right and just people:
- those who do good planning and work hard
- the innocent who travel a straight road
- the wise who are easily instructed
- those who understand the value of a secret gift
- the godly who gain great joy from justice
- the godly trade places with the wicked who will receive the punishment
- the honest who trade places with the traitors for the good
- the wise have wealth and luxury
- those who find life by pursuing righteousness and unfailing love
- the wise who conquer the city of the strong
- those who watch their tongue and keep their mouth shut
- the godly who love to give
- those who are credible witnesses
- the virtuous who think before they act (see the virtuous post)
- those who understand that no human wisdom or understanding or plan can stand against the LORD
- When God examines your heart, does he find that you may be right in your own eyes?
- Do you offer the LORD sacrifices, while not doing what is right and just?
- As God does his examination of your heart, is he apt to find a proud heart and evil actions?
- Have you been plagued by hasty shortcuts and notice that poverty is sneaking up on you?
- Have you created wealth with a lying tongue and then wonder why it seems to be vanishing?
- Have you notice that the wicked seem to be swept away lately?
- Ever notice the neighbors of evil people never get mercy from these folks?
- Did you know that the Righteous One knows what is going on in the homes of the wicked?
- Do you want to be ignored in your time of need?
- Have you shut your ears to the cries of the poor lately?
- The king’s heart is like a stream of water directed by the LORD; he guides it wherever he pleases
- The Righteous One knows what is going on in the homes of the wicked; he will bring disaster on them
- Justice is a joy to the godly, but it terrifies evildoers
- The person who strays from common sense will end up in the company of the dead.
- The wicked are punished in place of the godly, and traitors in place of the honest
- Watch your tongue and keep your mouth shut, and you will stay out of trouble
- No human wisdom or understanding or plan can stand against the LORD
- The horse is prepared for the day of battle, but the victory belongs to the LORD
As you review this list more than once, I hope you will began to see that being right in your own eyes can cost you dearly.
Please read this chapter more than once and then ask the LORD to help you to really understand what it is that he is saying to us and then begin praying for application the “Doing what is Right and Just,” you will be much better off.