Good Morning everyone and Praise the LORD with all your strength. Today should find us in the 15th chapter of Proverbs.
Theme: “The lips of the wise give good advice, but the heart of a fool has none to give.”
As I observed this chapter, I was inspired to focus on verse 2. It states, “The tongue of the wise makes knowledge appealing, but the mouth of a fool belches out foolishness.”
So, in saying that, I would like to use this chapter only to show you what I found regarding the tongue of the wise and the mouth of a fool, during my study time.
The tongue of the wise makes knowledge appealing by:
- Using a gentle answer
- Making knowledge appealing
- Using gentle words that are a tree of life
- Giving good advice
- Having a happy heart
- Being cool-tempered
- Giving a fitting reply
- Saying the right thing at the right time
- Using pure words
- Thinking carefully before speaking
The mouth of a fool belches out foolishness by:
- Using harsh words which makes tempers flare
- Belching out foolishness
- Using a deceitful tongue
- Having a heart of a fool that has no good advice to give
- Being despondent
- Being hot-tempered
- Overflowing with evil words
- Feeding on trash
- Having no sense
- Being proud
- Having evil plans
- Being greedy
- Having a mouth that overflows with evil words
- Rejecting discipline
- The LORD is watching everywhere, keeping his eye on both the evil and the good
- Only a fool despises a parent’s discipline; whoever learns from correction is wise
- There is treasure in the house of the godly, but the earnings of the wicked bring trouble
- The LORD detests the sacrifice of the wicked, but he delights in the prayers of the upright
- The LORD detest the way of the wicked, but he loves those who pursue godliness
- Whoever abandons the right path will be severely disciplined; whoever hates correction will die!
- Even Death and Destruction hold no secrets from the LORD. How much more does he know the human heart!
- Mockers hate to be corrected, so they stay away from the wise
- A glad heart makes a happy face, a broken heart crushes the spirit
- A wise person is hungry for knowledge, while the fool feeds on trash
- Better to have little, with fear for the LORD, than to have great treasure and inner turmoil
- A hot-tempered person starts fights; a cool-tempered person stops them
- A lazy person’s way is blocked with briers, but the path of the upright is an open highway
- Sensible children bring joy to their father; foolish children despise their mother
- Foolishness brings joy to those with no sense; a sensible person stays on the right path
- Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success
- Everyone enjoys a fitting reply; it is wonderful to say the right thing at the right time!
- The LORD tears down the house of the proud, but he protects the property of widows
- The LORD detests evil plans, but he delights in pure words
- The path of life leads upward for the wise; they leave the grave behind
- The LORD is far from the wicked, but he hears the prayers of the righteous
- If you listen to constructive criticism, you will be at home among the wise
- If you reject discipline, you only harm yourself; but if you listen to correction, you grow in understanding
- Fear of the LORD teaches wisdom; humility precedes honor
- The LORD is watching, which do you use, the tongue of the wise or the mouth of the fool?
- Do you despise your parent’s discipline or do you learn from correction?
- Are you a mocker or sensible child who brings joy to your father?
- Do you find yourself stopping fights or starting them?
- Do you find joy in foolishness rather than staying on the right path?
- Do you have advisors who can help you to bring your plans to an successful end?
- Does the LORD detests your plans or does he delight in them?
- Do you take action on constructive criticism, or do you ignore it?
- Are you aware that the LORD is far from the wicked, but he hears the prayers of the righteous?
- Did you know if you want to grow in understanding that you need to listen to correction?
If you are saved and call Jesus Lord then you need to check your tongue in, it can be a deadly weapon if used improperly.
Memory Verse: Proverbs 15:4 “Gentle words are a tree of life; a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit.”
The Choice is yours!