It’s the 19th day of the month and that means we all should be in the 19th chapter of Proverbs.
Theme: 25 things that can ruin your life
Verse 3 is the foundational starting point today. It states, “People ruin their lives by their own foolishness then are angry at the LORD.”
Lesson #1: 25 Ways one can ruin one’s life according to this chapter of Proverbs.
- being dishonest and a fool (v.1)
- having enthusiasm without knowledge (v.2)
- being hasty and making mistakes (v.2)
- allowing ones foolishness to cause them to be angry at the LORD (v.3)
- being in poverty which drives your friends away (v.4)
- being a false witness and a liar (v.5)
- despising your poor relatives and friends (v.7)
- being a fool who lives in luxury (v.9)
- being a foolish child (v.13)
- being a quarrelsome wife (v.13)
- being lazy and sleeping soundly (v.15)
- being idle (v.15)
- despising the commandments (v.16)
- not disciplining your children (v.18)
- being hot-tempered (see post on hot-tempered) (v.19)
- not getting all the advice and instruction you can (v.20)
- making many plans and not considering the LORD’s purpose (v.21)
- not being loyal (v.22)
- being dishonest (v.22)
- being a mocker, and simpleminded (v.25)
- mistreating your father and chasing away your mother (v.26)
- not listening to instructions (v.27)
- being a corrupt witness and making a mockery of justice (v.28)
- having a mouth of the wicked that gulps down evil (v.28)
- not understanding that punishment is made for mockers are and the backs of fools are made to be beaten (v.29)
- Are you honest in all of your dealings?
- Have you ever notice that you have rush out so excited that you forget to get all of the information needed to complete the task?
- Does your hasty ways cause you to make a multitude of mistakes?
- Do you find that you are regularly angry with the LORD?
- Do you have your foolishness in check?
- How’s your relationship with your father and mother these days?
- How well do you listen to instructions?
- What is your Loyalty based on, honesty or dishonesty?
- Has your hot-tempered ways caused you to pay the penalty lately?
- Do you help the poor on a regular basis
Lesson #2: General observations that you just might want to consider
- To acquire wisdom is to love yourself (v.8)
- People who cherish understanding will prosper (v.8)
- Keep your life by keeping the commandments (v.16)
- When you help the poor, you are lending to the LORD and he will repay you (v.17)
- Discipline your children while there is hope, otherwise you will ruin their lives (v.18)
- Get all the advice and instruction you can, so you will be wise the rest of your life (v.20)
- You can make many plans, but the LORD’s purpose will prevail (v.21)
- Loyalty makes a person attractive (v.22)
- Fear of the LORD leads to life, bringing security and protection from harm (v.23)