Good Morning on this 18th day of the month. I will be sharing my thoughts on the 18th Chapter of Proverbs today.
We will focus on verse 10 which states, “The name of the LORD is a strong fortress; the godly run to him and are safe.”
Theme: Strong fortress the godly run to!
So why would the godly need to run to the LORD in this chapter? Could it be because of the people around them?
What Is it that the godly need to be kept safe from?
They need to be kept safe from:
- Unfriendly people who care only about themselves
- Those who lash out at common sense
- Fools who have no interest in understanding
- Those who only want to air their own opinions
- Those who are disgrace by doing wrong
- Those who bring contempt by their scandalous behavior
- Those who acquit the guilty or deny justice to the innocent
- The constant quarrels of fools
- Fools who trap themselves with their own foolish lips
- Those who allow the dainty morsels of rumors to sink deep into their hearts
- A lazy person who is as bad as someone who destroys things
- The rich who think that their wealth is a strong defense
- People who are haughty and are headed for destruction
- Those who spout off before listening to the facts
- Those with crushed spirits
- An offended friend
- Arguments that separate friends
- Those who love to talk, who do not understand that death or life is in the tongue (see new post on the tongue)
- The rich who answer with insults
- Friends who destroy each other
- Wise words are like deep waters; wisdom flows from the wise like a bubbling brook
- Haughtiness goes before destruction; humility precedes honor
- Intelligent people are always ready to learn. Their ears are open for knowledge
- Giving a gift can open doors; it gives access to important people!
- Flipping a coin can end arguments; it settles disputes between powerful opponents
- Wise words satisfy like a good meal; the right words bring satisfaction
- The man who finds a wife finds a treasure, and he receives favor from the LORD
- There are “friends” who destroy each other, but a real friend sticks closer than a brother
- Do you show yourself friendly or unfriendly in your neighborhood?
- Have you ever lash out at someone who was operating with good common sense?
- Do you find that you are only interested in airing your own opinions?
- Do you have any scandalous behavior in your past that you wish would just go away?
- Do you use words that cause constant quarrels?
- Has your mouth set any traps lately that you know will ruin you?
- Are you still working on the last dainty morsel of a rumor that has sunk into your heart
- Do you imagine that your wealth or income is a strong defense that will keep you safe?
- Have you ever being known for spouting off without first listening to the facts?
- Are your ears really open for knowledge?
If you look up the word for Strong in this chapter you will find that the Hebrew word for strong is OZE, which means strength in various applications, such as i.e.. force, security, majesty, praise, boldness, loud, mighty, power, strength, strong.
The Hebrew word OZE also had it shorten version to OZ which really surprise me seeing how the movie Wizard of OZ was a favorite as I grew up. But I wonder if this was Hollywood’s way of saying that God was a little man behind curtains, faking out others making them thing that he was all powerful and yet weak and just a man.
Of course we know better, but people who don’t know or understand the Existing One, “Jehovah” are not aware that He is not to be played with nor to be made fun of, the consequences are staggering! Just ask history how God dealt with societies that took him for granted. Their high ideals crash down around them, and left them wondering what happen.
This is one of the reasons I love to stay in Proverbs, the wisdom here continues to put me in check.
So, who are you running to for safety?
Do you recognize the need for protection from those in the list above?
Blessing on you all.