Day 9 of the month, and time for chapter 9 of Proverbs. Today we are presented with the calls from Lady Wisdom and Lady Folly. Both are inviting us to come in and to partake of their feast.
Lesson #1: Who is invited to these banquets
- Everyone (v.3)
- The Simple (v.4)
- Those who lack good judgment (v.4)
- Those men going by who are minding their own business (v.15)
Lesson #2: A closer look at the Host of these banquets
Lady Wisdom offers:
- A great banquet, mixed wines (v.2)
- Solid advice for the ages (v.6 – 12)
Lady Folly offers:
- Brashness (v.13)
- Ignorance (v.13)
- Stolen water (v.17)
- Food eaten in secret (v.17)
- Association with the dead (v.18)
- A possible position in the grave (v.18)
Lesson #3: Expected Actions that obtain a positive resolution:
- Come in with me (v.4)
- Come, eat my food (v.5)
- Drink the wine I have mixed (v.5)
- Leave your simple ways behind, and begin to live (v.6)
- Learn to use good judgment (v.6)
- So don’t bother correcting mockers (v.8)
- Correct the wise, and they will love you (v.8)
- Instruct the wise, and they will be even wiser (v.9)
- Teach the righteous, and they will learn even more (v.9)
- Fear of the LORD is the foundation of wisdom (v.10)
- Knowledge of the Holy One results in good judgment (v.10)
Lesson #4: Positive outcome of following Lesson #3
- Wisdom will multiply your days and add years to your life (v.11)
- If you become wise, you will be the one to benefit (v.12)
- When you rebuke a mocker you will get an insult in return (v.7)
- When you correct the wicked you will get hurt (v.7)
- If you scorn wisdom, you will be the one to suffer (v.12)
- You believe that stolen water is refreshing; and food eaten in secret tastes the best! (v.17)
- You don’t even know that the dead are at the banquet that Folly offers (v.18)
- You end up conversing with Folly’s banquet guest who are in the depths of the grave (v.18)
- Now let me ask you, who do you think has your best interest in mind?
- And who do you think offers the best advice?
- Which Banquet are you currently eating at? How is that working for you?
- Would you like your days multiply and have years added to your life? Or would you like to associate with those who are in the depths of the grave?
The choice is totally yours, you can become wise and benefit from it or scorn wisdom and suffer the consequences of your choice.
Lets pray for the right choice in choosing who we will listen to.
Amen does not go here, Amen comes after you gain the wisdom needed to multiply your days and add years to your life, then we say AMEN!