Today we will start with chapter 1 of Proverbs.
The question is which way will you choose? God’s way or Your way. What a wonderful reason to study and understand the Book of Proverbs, so that you might gain the guidance needed to choose the correct way to for fill your purpose in God.
Let’s focus on verses 2-3 which states the purpose of the proverbs, to teach people wisdom and discipline, to help them understand the insights of the wise, to teach people to live disciplined and successful lives, to help them do what is right, just, and fair.
Of course I focused on the word purpose and use the picture below to paint a picture of the two ways that a person could travel in life. Notice God’s way the next exit and My way with no exits. MY way didn’t work and it almost killed me. I thought I was never going to get off that highway it was filled with all kinds of traps, detours, ruts, and obstacles. This was the most dangerous highway that I have ever driven and I don’t care to drive it again if I can help it! I Thank God for His mercy.
16 Reasons why you should study the Book of Proverbs every day, every month, and every year:
- So that you might be taught wisdom and discipline to help you understand the insights of the wise
- So that you might be taught to live discipline and successful lives
- So that you might gain insight, knowledge and discernment
- So that you might become even wiser gaining understanding and so that you receive guidance
- So that you understand that the foundation of true knowledge starts with the Fear of the LORD
- So that you don’t become a fool who despises wisdom and discipline
- So that you learn from the correction of your father, and you don’t neglect your mother’s instruction
- So that you learn from your parents and receive a crown of grace and a chain of honor around your neck
- So that you learn to turn your back on sinners when they entice you to join them
- So that you learn to not go alone with those who rush to commit evil deeds
- So that you are not like the greedy who lust after money, who are robbed of life
- So that you don’t reject wisdom’s advice and ignore correction offered
- So that you don’t end up eating the bitter fruit of living your own way, and choking on your own schemes
- So that you don’t turn away from wisdom but rather to death
- So that you don’t become a fool destroyed by your own complacency
- So that you DO LISTEN to Wisdom and end up living in peace and untroubled by fear or harm!
Why should one read and study the book of Proverbs?
To keep you from eating the bitter fruit of living your own way, and choking on your own schemes.
- What are your insights after reading this chapter of Proverbs?
- What specific way will you put what you learn into practice after exploring chapter 1?
- What specific area do you need to pray about after reading the 16 reasons to study the book of Proverbs?
The last two verses of this chapter are bitter sweet if you will, “For simpletons turn away from me (Wisdom) to death. Fools are destroyed by their own complacency. But all who listen to me will live in peace, untroubled by fear of harm.” Proverbs 1:32, 33
Memorize: “Let the wise listen to these proverbs and become even wiser. Let those with understanding receive guidance.” Proverb 1:5 NLT
Are you praying yet? Its Prayer Time!