Proverbs 23:12, 15 – Commit yourself to instruction; listen carefully to words of knowledge. My child, if your heart is wise, my own heart will rejoice!”
During this study on this the 23rd day of the month, I focused on verse 12 and the 15 Don’ts in this chapter.
Key Learning: Listen and Commit to the wisdom of the 15 Don’ts
Lesson #1: Listen and Commit to the wisdom of the 15 Don’ts
- Don’t desire all the delicacies that a ruler puts before you, he may be trying to trick you (v.3)
- Don’t wear yourself out trying to get rich, be wise enough to know when to quit (v.4)
- Don’t eat with people who are stingy (v.6)
- Don’t desire stingy people’s delicacies (v.6)
- Don’t waste your breath on fools, for they will despise the wisest advice (v.9)
- Don’t cheat your neighbor by moving the ancient boundary markers (v.10)
- Don’t take the land of defenseless orphans. For their Redeemer is strong; he himself will bring their charges against you (v.10)
- Don’t fail to discipline your children; it may well save them from death (v.13)
- Don’t envy sinners, but always continue to fear the LORD (v.17)
- Don’t carouse with drunkards or feast with gluttons, for they are on their way to poverty, and to much sleep clothes them in rags (v.20)
- Don’t despise your mother when she is old (v.22)
- Don’t sell the truth, but get wisdom, discipline, and good judgment (v.23)
- Don’t have anything to do with a prostitute, she is a dangerous trap (v.27)
- Don’t have anything to do with a promiscuous woman, she is as dangerous as falling into a narrow well. She hides and waits like a robber eager to make more men unfaithful (v.27, 28)
- Don’t gaze at the wine, seeing how red it is, for in the end it bites like a poisonous snake; it stings like a viper (v.31, 32)
Lesson #2: Other important thoughts from this chapters
- In the blink of an eye wealth disappears, for it will sprout wings and fly away like an eagle (v.5)
- Commit yourself to instruction; listen carefully to words of knowledge (v.12)
- My child, if your heart is wise, my own heart will rejoice! Everything in me will celebrate when you speak what is right (v.15, 16)
- You will be rewarded for continuing to fear the LORD; your hope will not be disappointed (v.18)
- Get the truth and never sell it; also get wisdom, discipline, and good judgment (v.23)
- O my son, give me your heart. May your eyes take delight in following my ways (v.26)
- Who has anguish? Who has sorrow? Who is always fighting? Who is always complaining? Who has unnecessary bruises? Who has bloodshot eyes? It is the one who spends long hours in the taverns, trying out new drinks (v.29)
As you run this list do you see anything that may be causing you issues or is there within this list something that you may need to carry into prayer time?
Number 2, 5, and 9 will be within my prayer list of things that I need to pray even harder about.
Let’s Pray my friends about what we are committing to and about our ability to listen carefully to the right source of knowledge and wisdom.