Exodus 20:12 Honor your father and mother. Then you will live a long, full life in the land the LORD your God is giving you.
- This is the first commandment with a promise attached
- To live in peace for generations in the Promised Land, the Israelites would need to respect authority and build strong families
- But what does it mean to honor parents?
- Partly, it means speaking well of them and politely to them
- It also means acting in a way that shows themcourtesy and respect (but not to obey them if this menas disobedience of God)
- Parents have a special place in God’s sight
- Even those who find it difficult to get along with their parents are still commanded to honor them *1
Exo. 21:15, 17
Lev. 19:3, 32
1 Ki. 2:19
2 Ki. 2:12
Pro. 1:8, 9
*1 Thoughts from Life Application Study Bible note on Exodus 20:12 page 142