Exodus 20:8 Remember to observe the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.
Remember to keep the Sabbath Holy
- The Sabbath was a day set aside for rest and worship
- God commanded a Sabbath because we need to spend unhurried time in worship and rest each week
- A God who is concerned enough to provide a day each week for us to rest is indeed wonderful
- To observe a regular time of rest and worship in our hurried world demonstrates the importance of God in our lives while having the extra benefit of refreshing our spirits
Gen. 2:3 – God set the standard, He stop working, he blessed this day and made it holy. How about you?
Ex. 16:23 – Sabbath observance
Ex. 31:12-15 – the Sabbath is a sign between you and me(God)
Deut. 5:12 – Restated “keep the Sabbath day holy”
Mark 2:27, 28 – Jesus said, “The Sabbath was made for people, not people for the Sabbath.”
The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath: Thereforem the Son of man is Lord also of the Sabbath
- God created the Sabbath for our benefit, not his own
- God derives no benefit from having us rest on the Sabbath, but we are restored both physically and spiritually when we take time to rest and focus on God
- For the Pharisees, Sabbath laws had become more important than Sabbath rest
- Both David and Jesus understood that the intent of God’s Law is to promote love for God and others
- When we apply a law to other people, we should make sure we understand its purpose and intent so we don’t make harmful or inappropriate judgments *1
- The Church is not organized for the sake of organization, but so Christ can be honored and glorified *2
- While studying these guidelines don’t lose sight of what is most important in the life of the church–knowing God, working together in loving harmony, and taking God’s Good News to the world *2
Ex.23:12 – you are to refrain from work, so that all can rest
Deut. 5:14 – no one is exempt from this command
Luke 4:16 – Jesus’ example of attending church(synagogue) regularly, makes any excuse for not going to church sound week and self serving. Make regular worship a part of your life *3
Jn. 7:21-24 – Jesus said, “Stop judging by appearances, but judge with righteous judgment!”
- Why should you go to church?
- Why should we gather together as believers?
- Why do so many not go to church?
- Why do so many work on the Sabbath?
- Why is it important to rest on the Sabbath?
- What is meant by keeping the Sabbath holy?
- What part does the Church play in keeping the Sabbath?
- What does church mean to you?
- What does church really look like to you?
- What does the Sabbath mean to you?
- Is it just as important to rest mentally, as well as physically?
- What is church hurt, and how can we help those who have suffered the wrong done to them?
- Should we allow church hurt to keep us from joining a fellowship (church)?
- Who is really hurt by our not going to church or gathering together, God, others, our love ones, or us?
*1 Thoughts from Life Application Study Bible
*2 Thoughts from Life Application Study Bible, note on 1 Timoty 6:21, pg. 2134
*3 Thought from Life Application Study Bible, note on Luke 4:16, pg. 1720