http://bible.com/116/mrk.4.9.nlt Then he said, “Anyone with ears to hear should listen and understand.”
Some people in the crowd were looking for evidence to use against Jesus; others truly wanted to learn and grow.
Jesus’ words were for the honest seekers.
We hear with our ears, but there is a deeper kind of listening with the mind and heart that is necessary in order to gain spiritual understanding from Jesus’ words.
*** Thoughts from Life Application Study Bible Devotions, 26 June 2015 ***
Anyone with Ears
– metaphorically the faculty of perceiving with the mind, the faculty of understanding and knowing
Let him ear or listen and understand
– to perceive by the ear what is announced in one’s presence
– to get by hearing learn
– a thing comes to one’s ears, to find out, learn
– to give ear to a teaching or a teacher
– to comprehend, to understand
The Deeper kind of listening is obtained by asking Father God in Heaven:
- To grant you to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in your inner man,
- So that Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith;
- Then you can be rooted and grounded in love.
- Now you can comprehend with all saints with is the breadth, and length , and depth , and height.
- And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge,
- That you might be filled with all the fullness of God
The Deeper kind of listening is derived by allowing Father God to:
- infuse you with the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him,
- now you can truly listen and understand what Jesus meant by this saying!
Rev 3:6 KJV
He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.
v 16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;
v 17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,
v 18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;
v 19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.
v 17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
v 18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,