http://bible.com/116/mat.11.25.nlt At that time Jesus prayed this prayer: “O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, thank you for hiding these things from those who think themselves wise and clever, and for revealing them to the childlike.
Jesus mentioned two kinds of people in his prayer: the “wise and clever,” arrogant in their own knowledge; and the “childlike,” humbly open to receive the truth of God’s Word.
Are you wise in your own eyes, or do you seek the truth in childlike faith, realizing that only God holds all the answers.
*** Thoughts from Life Application Study Bible Devotions, 15 June 2015 ***
Note: from Luke 10:21 (pg. 1743, Life Application Study Bible)
- We come to Jesus not through strength or brains, but through childlike trust
- Jesus is not opposed to engaging in scholarly pursuits, he is opposed to spiritual pride (being wise in one’s own eyes)
- Join Jesus in thanking God that we all have equal access to him
- Trust in God’s grace, not in your personal qualifications, for your citizenship in the Kingdom
Eph. 1:16. I have not stopped thanking God for you. I pray for you constantly,
17. asking God, the glorious Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, to give you spiritual wisdom and insight so that you might grow in your knowledge of God.
18. pray that your hearts will be flooded with light so that you can understand the confident hope he has given to those he called—his holy people who are his rich and glorious inheritance.