Despite all the Miraculous, there was still Unbelief
Read John 12:37-50
v. 37 People still did not believe
v. 37 Blinded by their passions and consistently hardened their hearts
- Many today won’t believe despite all God does**
- Don’t be discouraged if your witness for Christ doesn’t turn as many to him as you’d like**
- Your job is to continue as a faithful witness**
- You are responsible to reach out to others, but they are responsible for their own decisions**
- What did it take for you to believe?
- What stands in the way of your belief?
- What does it take for you to believe today?
- How’s your Faith?
- What is Faith, according to God’s Word?
- Ref. Others instances of hardened hearts, Ex. 9:12; Ro. 1:24-28,and 1 Thess. 2:8-12
V. 39 Therefor they could not believe, because that Esaias said again,
- Does this mean God intentionally prevented these people from believing in him?**
- No, he simply confirmed their own choices**
- After a lifetime of resisting God, they had become so set in their ways that they would’t even try to understand Jesus’ message**
- For such people, it is virtually impossible to come to God–their hearts have been permanently hardened**
v. 40 Are your spiritual eyes blinded? Why?
- How’s your heart, Is it hardened towards God?
- What are the characteristics of a person who’s heart is hardened, what does that look like?
- Ref. IsIa. 29:10-14
- Ref. http://bible.com/116/eph.1.17-18.nlt asking God, the glorious Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, to give you spiritual wisdom and insight so that you might grow in your knowledge of God. I pray that your hearts will be flooded with light so that you can understand the confident hope he has given to those he called—his holy people who are his rich and glorious inheritance
v. 42 Many people did believe but would not admit it, for fear they would be expel from the synagogue. They love human praise more than the praise of God
Ref. See John 9.22, excommunicated, separated from all religious connection with those who worshiped God
- People who refuse to believe, and people who believed but refused to admit it are people who are afraid of rejection or ridicule**
- Do you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ enough to obey him
- What does your obedience look like?
- What does a hardened heart look like?
- What fear has you whipped in that you don’t witness for Christ
- How do you deal with human praise, can you handle it or does your head swell?
- What about God’s praise, can you explain when you really feel his praise? What does that look like?
47. I will not judge those who hear but don’t obey me
- Do you really hear and obey the Lord Jesus, and what does that look like?
48. Those who reject me and my message will be judged on the day of judgment
- Rejection, what does that feel like?
- Have you ever been rejected? Share the feelings that you went through. (1st Love rejected me)
- When we reject God how do you think that makes Him feel? especially after He offered up His Son to develop a real and personal relationship with us?
- It’s judgment day and you have just been told that base on your rejection of Jesus and his message that you are judged, what does that look or feel like to you?
- Ref. 1 Cor. 15:51-57; 1 Thess. 4:15-18; Rev. 21:1-8 (those who accepted Jesus and lived his way
- Ref. Rev. 20:11-15 (those who rejected Jesus and lived any way they pleased
49. I don’t speak on my own authority
The Father has commanded me what to say and how to say it
The Father’s commands lead to eternal Life
I say whatever the Father tells me to say
- When you speak for God’s kingdom,who’s authority are you using to speak?
- Has the Father sent you and commanded you to say what you are saying?
- Are you saying what the Father tells you to say and are you saying it the way He tells you to?
- Who’s telling you to speak, and how do you know it’s the Father?
- Who’s speaking you from your mind, or from your heart which is filled with the love of God
50. What does God’s commands lead to?
- Are you saying what the Father tells you to say, or are you doing your own thing?
- SPIRITUAL BLINDNESS
- HARDENED HEART
- TRUST & OBEDIENCE
- GOD’S COMMANDS
- ETERNAL LIFE
** thoughts from Life Application Study Bible notes on John 12:37-50